Thursday, March 29, 2012

BRIAN JACQUES

264 BRIAN JACQUES The Bellmaker nodded understandingly. "You're growing up well, Benjy. You stay aboard with the others, and Finnbarr and I will go ashore early and give Burrom a decent burial." The young squirrel sat upright. "No, please, leave our father in the tent. I couldn't bear thinking about Burrom buried there all alone. Besides, she might get better and wake up someday..." "So be it, Benjy," said Joseph, smiling sadly, "but don't grieve. Burrom will be glad that you three are safe and with friends now. Goodnight." "Goodnight, sir. Oh, may I ask where we're going on your ship?" "It's not my ship. Pearl Queen belongs to Finnbarr. We're bound for Southsward to search for my daughter, Mariel, and her friend Dandin. It's a long story." Benjy's eyes shone bright in the darkness. "Southsward, that's my home!" Now it was Joseph's turn to sit up. "You come from Southsward?'' "Yes, sir, every creature on the ship did. We were driven out of there by Urgan Nagru the Foxwolf梙is rats killed both my parents. I want to go back to Southsward!" "I'll bet you do, Benjy!" said Joseph, looking steadily at the youngster. "Come to the galley with me; there's food and drink there. We have a lot to discuss." BOOK THREE Southsward 26 Rosy-hued dawn flooded through the guest room window at Redwall Abbey as Mellus and Tarquin stirred the snoring searat Captain from a tangle of sheets. "C'mon, Slipp, rise and shine, old rat. Let's see if you were Muffin* when you said you could cook."

No comments:

Post a Comment