Wednesday, March 28, 2012

stop gabbin'

"Oh aye. Now you git t' sleep an' stop gabbin'." "I go t'sleep now. G'night, Mista Thugg." "Good night!" "See you inna mornin'." "Aye, now be quiet!" "I quiet now. Dumble quiet." "Well, I should 'ope you are!" "Oh I are." "Be quiet, d'you 'ear me. Be quiet!" "Dumble quiet. You de one makin' alia noise, Mista Thugg." Since dawn King Glagweb had been peering over the edge of the pit, watching Mara intently. The toad guards heaved a massive load of tubers and roots down to the captives. There was even some fruit among it梐 few apples, some half-ripe hazelnuts and late strawberries. Nordo and his shrews gathered it into the little walicaves, keeping the hazelnuts to one side as sling material. As Pikkle helped to gather up the food he called to Mara, "You've got a royal admirer there, old gel, wot? I think he fancies you on toast with an apple in your jolly mouth." Mara shook a paw at the King of toads. "Go away, you fat sloppy swamp-walloper!" "Kroikl! Silence stripedog, Glagweb is King, Krrk!" Glagweb flung a hazelnut savagely at her. "Not fat or sloppy. I punish you when the time comes. Grrk!" Mara flung the nut back, scoring a direct hit on Glagweb's nose. "Why not come down here and punish me now if you dare, fathead. Or should I say your royal splodginess!" Glagweb waddled about the edge of the pit, quivering with rage, his eyes bulging and his throat pulsing wildly. 132

No comments:

Post a Comment