Friday, March 30, 2012

Not only about that, dear boy.

"Not only about that, dear boy. I should not have known what to say to you: there was so much I should have had to be silent about. Much that was absurd, indeed, and humiliating, because it was like a mountebank performance--yes, a regular show at a fair. Come, how could we have understood each other before, when I've only understood myself to-day at five o'clock this afternoon, just two hours before Makar Ivanovitch's death? You look at me with unpleasant perplexity. Don't be uneasy: I will explain the facts, but what I have just said is absolutely true; my whole life has been lost in mazes and perplexity, and suddenly they are all solved on such a day, at five o'clock this afternoon! It's quite mortifying, isn't it? A little while ago I should really have felt mortified." I was listening indeed with painful wonder; that old expression of Versilov's, which I should have liked not to meet that evening after what had been said, was strongly marked. Suddenly I exclaimed: "My God! You've received something from her . . . at five o'clock this afternoon?" He looked at me intently, and was evidently struck at my exclamation: and, perhaps, at my expression: "from her." "You shall know all about it," he said, with a dreamy smile, "and, of course, I shall not conceal from you anything you ought to know; for that's what I brought you here for; but let us put that off for a time. You see, my dear boy, I knew long ago that there are children who brood from their earliest years over their family through being humiliated by the unseemliness of their surroundings and of their parents' lives. I noticed these brooding natures while I was still at school, and I concluded then that it all came from their being prematurely envious. Though I was myself a brooding child, yet . . . excuse me, my dear, I'm wonderfully absent-minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment