Thursday, March 15, 2012

The more fool you!

And so on. My dear, dear Tess, I am only putting this to you as a thing that you might have supposed or said quite untruly, because you think so badly of me.'
`I never said you were Satan, or thought it. I don't think of you in that way at all. My thoughts of you are quite cold, except when you affront me. What, did you come digging here entirely because of me?'
`Entirely. To see you; nothing more. The smockfrock, which I saw hanging for sale as I came along, was an after-thought, that I mightn't be noticed. I come to protest against your working like this.'
`But I like doing it - it is for my father.'
`Your engagement at the other place is ended?'
`Yes.'
`Where are you going to next? To join your dear husband?'
She could not bear the humiliating reminder.
`O - I don't know!' she said bitterly. `I have no husband!'
`It is quite true - in the sense you mean. But you have a friend, and I have determined that you shall be comfortable in spite of yourself. When you get down to your house you will see what I have sent there for you.'
`O, Alec, I wish you wouldn't give me anything at all! I cannot take it from you! I don't like - it is not right!'
`It is right!' he cried lightly. `I am not going to see a woman whom I feel so tenderly for as I do for you, in trouble without trying to help her.'
`But I am very well off! I am only in trouble about - about - not about living at all!'
She turned, and desperately resumed her digging, tears dripping upon the fork-handle and upon the clods.
`About the children - your brothers and sisters,' he resumed. `I've been thinking of them.'
Tess's heart quivered - he was touching her in a weak place. He had divined her chief anxiety. Since returning home her soul had gone out to those children with an affection that was passionate.
`If your mother does not recover, somebody ought to do something for them; since your father will not be able to do much, I suppose?'
`He can with my assistance. He must!'
`And with mine.'
`No, sir!'
`How damned foolish this is!' burst out d'Urberville. `Why, he thinks we are the same family; and will be quite satisfied!'
`He don't. I've undeceived him.'
`The more fool you!'

No comments:

Post a Comment